6/9/16

- RENE LAVICE COMES DOWN UNDER -

 It's been a good week for us! Two RAM Records heavy hitters in a week.

This time we catch up with Canadian Drum and Bass producer, Rene LaVice. He hits Australian shores on the 17th of June to kick off his tour of 5 shows.

17th June - HQ Complex - Adelaide
18th June - Bodega - Wellington
19th June - Grumpy's - Melbourne
24th June - Chinese Laundry - Sydney
25th June - Villa Nightclub - Perth
 
---------------------------------------------- 

1. Take us back to the beginning... When did you start and how does it feel to be where you are now?

I started in Toronto, Canada. Where I was born and grew up. It feels great. It feels strange in a way too, because after all of the success I've had, I can sense that I'm on the cusp of something even bigger once again. It's not as I pictured it, it's strange, but good.

2. How did you decide to join the Ram records team?

Andy C got in touch with me about the music I had been making. I was releasing on other labels and some of my music was sent to him as well. I was enjoying what I was doing, and Ram wasn't particularly on my radar at the time in terms of a potential home base. I was different and didn't fit the mold, but they were into that. It gave me an opportunity to release my own vinyls and full length albums, those were things I was really excited to do. It was risky signing to small label in the industry climate that I did, but for the most part it worked out and it's been great. It really helped with promoting what I was doing, especially in a scene that often prides it's self on being overly modest about everything. When I asked other people what they thought of the idea I got mixed reactions but it was too unique an opportunity to pass up so I went for it. Sometimes you'll never know until you take the leap.


3. You’re coming back to Aus/NZ this month! What are you most excited for?

Sun. haha! But also just seeing everyone who's there. I've toured OZ/NZ 3 times already, and it's full of really lovely people who have great energy and who are really enjoyable to hang out with. I know the shows are going to be off the chain. It's such an educated audience, I love switching the fader over to the next track and seeing an instant reaction in the crowd, it's thrilling.

4. Tell us about playing gigs in Canada, how does it compare to the rest of the world?

Playing any kind of dance music in Canada, but especially Drum and Bass is wicked. It's got that vibe music like OZ/NZ where Canadians love to have a good time and have fun, but at the same time they know the whole history, even the young ones. It makes for really exciting events that are really diverse, there isn't one singular sound, they're into different artists all the time.

5. Your top 5 tracks to play right now...

off the dome.... Air Force 1 (always), Smooth - Tinnitus, Helium Remix VIP, Culture shock - Steam machine, and this new dubplate I made that I won’t say the name of

6. Talk us through your production set up. What program and plug ins do you like to use?

I'd rather keep it a mystery. I don't think it matters.

7. What do you love most about Drum and Bass?

The way that it allows for uniqueness and real expression. Even the really mind numbing hardcore stuff, it's got a soul to it.

8. If you had to spend the rest of your life in one isle of a super market, what would it be... and why?

The pet accessory or pet food isle because chicks dig guys with dogs

9. If you could see any artist live, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

Motorhead. because I loved that band for years, it really inspired me, and I never got the chance. That's going to sound cliché because of how Lemmy's death blew up on social media.... I really didn't understand why that happened. Half the people I saw sharing it didn't know who the fuck he was. There are so many answers for this though, there are a lot that I would see!

10. And finally... What’s next for Rene Lavice???

The never ending world tour continues, the next single is in the pipeline, the podcast is coming back revamped (René LaVice Radio on iTunes), and there are some other projects that I literally can't legally announce yet that are going to be EPIC, so please check out my facebook fanpage and stay tuned :)

No comments:

Powered by Textbook Widget