9/28/11

- THE LIQUID STRANGER -


In my opinion he is the most talented producer in the Rottun Records/Interchill crew. Producing everything from the heaviest Dubstep to the most melodic Dub/Reggae to hit Beatport. This week I'm really excited to have a chat with Liquid Stranger!


1. How long have you been producing and DJing for?
I've been making tunes most of my life. Got my first synthesizer when I was 8 years old.

Making tunes is the perfect therapy for me, it keeps me sane. When I was younger I was into fighting, partying, and extreme sports. Music was the thing that made me stay out of (too much) trouble.

2. How did you come up with you name?

My original idea was to have several different people playing as the Liquid Stranger. That way I could remain anonymous. I'm not a very social person, and I don't like too much attention. Anyways, my plan had a major flaw since there was no way for me to make sure that the people I sent out were suitable to represent the name. Besides, after a while my name got written on record sleeves and the rest is history.

it's hard work to stay hidden in this information age :)


3. So your originally from Sweden... How would you compare the dubstep scene there with the scene of where you are now?

I know very little about the scene in Sweden. I've been living in the US for almost 6 years, and when I left there was only very few people who were into Dubstep. I made my first 'Dubstep-sounding' tunes in 2000-2002, but no one wanted to release them at the time :) I started making Dubstep again when I moved to the US.

4. Your Dubstep has been topping the charts for a while, and then you released an amazing Dub/Reggae album... Where do you find the inspiration to write such a diverse range of music?

The Dubstep/Drumstep stuff works great on a big sound system, but I enjoy a wide variety of music and I don't want to limit my output to one genre. I need to make different kinds of music or else I get bored. Right now I'm working on a new Rottun EP which is hard as hell...and simultaneously I'm making songs for the new album on Interchill which is more like deep space electronica.

5. At Dubstep Democracy we are huge fans of Rottun Recording's, tell us how you got involved with Excision and Rottun...

When Excision started Rottun he asked me to send tunes, and so I did. He is a great guy to work with. Very straight forward and honest.

6. What Programs and Plug-ins are you using?

I use Cubase and various software but most of my sounds come from vintage analog synthesizers. I'm a total gear slut! My favorite pieces of gear for Dubstep is the Cwejman S1 MKII, Korg MS-10, and the TR-909. I really like the Mooger Foogers as well.

7. What's the most memorable live show you've played?
I have no idea, I've played a lot of really good shows...and as Dubstep is getting bigger, the production is getting better.


8. What artist/band/musician, dead or alive, would you give anything to see live?

...there is really no one that I would give anything to see. It's not that dramatic for me. Trying to think here, but nothing comes to mind...hmm, Tangerine Dream during the 70s would have been nice.

9. Top 5 tracks to play at the moment...

Well, I only play my own tunes when I perform. 95% unreleased/VIPs. I don't really listen to Dubstep at home ever, I don't hunt for the latest tunes, and I'm honestly very poorly updated with whats hot and not :)

At the moment I'm going back through the early albums from Brian Eno, The Orb, and Steve Roach. In my car I have a hard drive with a 3 week long IDM/electronica playlist on shuffle. Music is so tied to emotions as well, and the output from Warp Records, Skam, Mo Wax, and Ninja Tune would be the soundtrack to most of my significant memories.

10. And finally, whats next for Liquid Stranger?

I will continue to do a couple of shows per week. I'm also planning a substantial US tour, and have started to think about doing something for EU and OZ as well during next year. My goal is to release a new EP on Rottun before the end of 2011, record a new DJ mix within a month or two, and have my Interchill album ready for release in May next year. Got some collabs planned as well...a lot of tentative ones, but the most solidified projects are together with Downlink, Bare, Ajapai, and Messinian.

Liquid Stranger - Mechanoid Mixdown by liquid stranger
Liquid Stranger - The Arcane Terrain Mashup by interchill

2 comments:

Darkness Flanger said...

Yhea thanks dubstep demcracy :D

Anonymous said...

propecia cost propecia results timeline - long see results propecia

Powered by Textbook Widget