9/1/11

- INTERVIEW WITH MARK INSTINCT -

(Pic Source: Dubkidz)

This week I managed to get an interview with Canadian Dubstep producer Mark Instinct. He's been on the scene for a while and has recently released a brand new EP under Rottun Records! Check it out at the bottom of the interview.
Enjoy!

 1. So tell us a bit about your musical journey... how did it start and how have you made it to where you are now?

I started out as a drum and bass dj, playing at any place I could lol. When i was out of high school i took a couple years to experiment with writing tunes, messed with reason, etc. I took an intern position at a local recording studio and while i was working there I started to really get in to music production. I was learning about audio post production for film, so i could kind of relate the technical shit to music. I worked there for a few months after my internship ended, once i was laid off I got back on the job train and just focused on production as much as i could. Spent every last dollar on what I needed to be creative. And it just went up from there, with the success I was able to spend more time on music and less on doing the dayjob thing. Now I am very privileged to be given the gift to do what I love.

2. how would you compare the dubstep scene around the world to the Canadian scene?

The Canadian scene has its own identity I feel. There is a lot of great producers who have emerged out of Canada that really make it stand out apart from the rest. I love the scene at home in Calgary a lot! SO much energy, it's really exciting!


3. what is the best live show you have ever played?

Starscape 2011 in Baltimore. That gig was insanity. 

4. whats the funniest/weirdest/most wrong thing you've seen from behind the decks?

Haha! this one dude who was smashing his woman in front of the bassbins, I guess bass brings out the Grimey in people. 

5. What program and plug-ins are you using to produce your beats?

I currently am running Cubase 6. I love to use, Massive, Razor and Albino to make alot of my synth/Bass sounds. The rest is a secret ;)

6. What artist/band/producer, dead or alive, would you give anything to see live?

Tool, they are by far one of my most favorite bands of all time. 

7. How did you get hooked up with the Rottun Records crew?

I met excision a few years ago when I played a show in Edmonton. We started talking and I sent him some tunes, it was clockwork after that and now it brings us to the present day. 

8. Which track never fails to get you amped up?

Slayer - Threshold gets me jacked ALL the time! 

9. Top 5 tracks to play at the moment...

Bare - Huey
Tim Healey vs Freqhouse ft. Pipa Trix - Resistance (Mark Instinct Remix)
Downlink & Datsik - Sting
Muffler - Caling your Name (Skism Remix)
Mark Instinct - Grimey


10. And finally... Whats next for Mark Instinct?

So much on the go lately. I am currently working on an Ep with frontman Efrem Shulz of Death by Stereo, we are doing a Punkstep hybrid ep with some really sick material on it. Lots of solo bits in the works, I have been experimenting with different Bpm's the last few ideas I have had. There are a few remixes I have done as well slated for release in the next couple months on 119 Sound (HavocNDeeds Label), Orphan Music (Canada) and Subhuman Recordings. There are no signs of a slow down this year! haha

Check out his new EP!
MARK INSTINCT & ADROA - SUICIDE PILL EP - FORTHCOMING AUG 22 2011 - ROTTUN RECORDINGS by MARK_INSTINCT

And a mix made from a bunch of his tracks

Audio Addict Presents Vol.11…MARK INSTINCT by Audio-Addict

No comments:

Powered by Textbook Widget