2/17/16

- AN INTERVIEW WITH DATSIK -


I managed to get an interview with one of todays biggest bass producers!
He's been on the top of the charts for a few years now and hasn't stopped touring the world to back up all his massive hits.





 ---------------------------------------

Q.  Tell us how crazy it is for you to look back on your journey through music. From the start of your production days, to becoming a record label owner and one of the most established bass producers in the world. How does it all make you feel?

A.  It's definitely a trip to see how far this music thing for me has come.. I remember working in my bedroom on old school hiphop beats having fun when I was a youngster, thinking how amazing it would be to just do that for the rest of my life. That feeling hasn't changed, but now its bigger and badder then its ever been and now I have access to all the toys I could have only dreamed of as a kid!

 
Q.  This time round you're doing more club shows rather than festivals. Is this something you chose specifically or is it just the way the tour turned out?

A.  It always just kind of pans out based on whatever is happening in Australia at the time. I've done StereoSonic twice and it was completely amazing both times, but there's something about an intimate club show that the festivals can't really offer. I'm so stoked to reconnect and party with all the peeps that listen to my music down under and throw down some fresh dubplates for all the heads, its been a minute!

 
Q.  From previous tours around Australia/NZ, is there a specific gig that you are looking forward to the most?

A.  Honestly each city has its own thing going. I love how Perth are DnB die hards, I love that Sydney always ends up being the biggest show. It gets me stoked how many people have come out in the past in Sydney, and how well roundedness and accepting you guys are! It's refreshing and very pleasant as a DJ to be able to play what I want to the fullest and to have such an open and educated crowd.

 
Q.  If you could have ANY set up(equipment wise) that you wanted for your live performances, what would you have?

A.  I pretty much have everything I want already up there. I keep it simple with my setup but make it go a long way, getting rid of the things I dont need and adding things I could use. There's something to be said about keeping it not too complicated as it can get distracting from the reason I'm actually there, which is to have a good time and throw down some big tracks! That being said I go pretty nuts on the controllers that I use.. I use a Launch Pad and Launch Control out of Ableton and have remapped the DJM900 to my own effects. When I perform i almost always have 3-4 faders up on the mixer for every mix that I do.. For example, I could be double dropping 2 tracks while playing a vocal on the third and chopping up a sweep on the fourth. I really like to experiment with this kind of stuff when I'm up there doing my thing!

Q.  Now for the same question we ask every artist,  What program and plug-ins are you using to write your tunes? 


A.  Haha, loaded question but ill keep it as brief as i can. I use Ableton, and almost all UAD (Universal Audio) plug ins. They require a separate processor to run as it's all emulation of hardware, but they sound SO AMAZING. I also use a lot of Fabfilter Saturn to even out baselines, bringing up the highs and turning down the lows a bit to make them sound more balanced. Massive and Serum are my favorite synths to make baselines.
 

Q.  If tomorrow was your last day to live, What would your last meal be? (you can have anything you can imagine)

A.  Cecil's perogies out of Kelowna BC. That shit is SO BOMB and its gotta be the number one thing I miss from Canada now that I live in Los Angeles.

 
Q. most memorable show you've played to date...

A.  Shambhala out of BC every year changes the game for me and gives me a chance to reset for the year being able to see all my close home town friends. That festival is perfect for me.


 Q . If you could see any artist, dead or alive, who would it be?

A.  I really want to see Billy Joel in concert haha, I've been listening to a lot of his shit lately late night .. he's a don!


 Q.  Any finally... What's next for Datsik?

A.  New EP should be dropping very soon which I'm ecstatic about! I'm gonna play all the new tracks off of it on this tour. See you crazy bastards soon and much love! 

No comments:

Powered by Textbook Widget