10/31/10

-DROID SECTOR-


This week I was lucky enough to catch up with Australia's Droid Sector.

Check it out!

1. So tell us what its like to be a dubstep producer in Victoria... where is good to go out? and whats your favorite night to play?

My favorite nights in Victoria have to be the Heavy Innit nights. Always a good line up, great venue and big sound system.

2. How did you get into Dubstep? what drove you to get as far as you are now?

I used to listen to a lot of drum and bass but around 2007 i started to tire of it and went searching for something new. Dubstep happened to be emerging as a genre at around this time and I liked the way it adhered to the old dnb ethos of heavy subs and minimal percussion with a nice rolling beat. The focus was on bass, something dnb was lacking at that time, so it was pretty easy for me to get into it. As for what drives me, I guess it's a desire to make music that I'd like to hear. It's a way for me to incorporate all my musical influences together and create something that's both mine, but also a subtle nod towards the music thats inspired me over the years.

3. What inspires you the most to make you tunes?

A lot of things inspire me to make music, but a lot of the time it's simply other music that sets off a desire in me to make a tune. I could be listening to a song that clicks with me in a particular way, and that triggers a reaction to get to my computer as quickly as possible to try to capture the vibe of that tune in a dubstep track. That mainly applies to non electronic genres like metal or ambient. A lot of my friends within the scene also inspire me to keep making music, especially when they send me something particularly sick, and I think to myself 'damn ! can I even try to top this?!?'. It's actually really good to have that inspiration. I wouldnt consider it competitive or anything, more a desire to keep pushing my sound forward.

4. tell us 3 artists dead or alive that you would do anything to see live?

I'd do anything to see Ozric Tentacles (an English electronic psychedelic rock band) play live. Hopefully they make it to Australia one day. It'd also love to see Klaus Schulze perform 'Moondawn' live using his original 70's synth setup. And I'm really looking forward to seeing Wolves In The Throne Room next time they come to Australia, I missed them last time they toured and was seriously cut about it.

5. What software and plug-ins are you using to make your music?

I've been a FL Studio user for years, so thats my DAW of choice...I've tried others but always find myself going back to FL for its sheer versatility and ease of use. As far as plugins go, I usually use the standard FL fx plugins for a lot of things, although I do have a few fx secret weapons which I'm not prepared to share just yet hehehe. As far as synths go Massive, Vanguard, Sytrus and Albino are what I find myself using if I need some synth action, although to be honest most of my songs are sample based.

6. Most fun gig you've played...

Definitely Babylon System @ Low Society in Sydney. Sculling Jameson on stage with Tom and Jus (from Babylon System) and Tim (Boot) while rocking out to some seriously heavy dubs in front of one of the biggest crowds Ive played to was an unforgettable experience.

7. How did you get involved with Requiem Audio?

I started Requiem Audio at the start of 2010 because I felt there were no labels out there representing the sound me and my buddies were trying to push. After an amiable split with my first partner, I asked Tim Boot to come on board and since then things have been going well, bar a hiccup or two with vinyl distro (all sorted now thankfully). It's great to work with someone who's on exactly the same page as you are, and hopefully things will continue to grow and expand for us in 2011. Digi releases will be out every 3 weeks, and we have some merchandise on the way very soon as well.

8. Who have you had the most fun collaborating with?

Almost all my collabs are done online so I don't really have any wacky studio stories to tell, but I think when it comes to collabs I like working with Dubtek the most. The man is just that good at making nice rolling bass, so when i get the parts from him I know even before opening them up that we're gonna cook up something sweet. But every artist I've collabed with so far has been great to work with.

9. How did you come up with the name?


Taken from a song by early 90's sci fi death metal Nocturnus.

10. 5 top tracks to play live at the moment...

Matta - Turning Tricks
Matt U - Watching U
SPL & Triage - Valhalla
Antiserum & Vinja ft. MC Messianian - Sound War
Vesicle - Nothing Will Remain (TZR & Press Remix)

11. And finally... Whats next for Droid Sector?

I've got a heap of vinyl coming out over the next few months, as well as some digi releases. Playing regular shows now as well so keep an eye out for me in your capital city. You can check my upcoming releases on my soundcloud.


Droid Sector June 2010 Studio Mix by Droid Sector

No comments:

Powered by Textbook Widget