1/13/12

- THE WORLD RECORD HOLDER -



A lot of people out there have heard the news... Well I'm here to fill in the rest.

About a month ago Sydney's own Smokin' Joe Mekhael broke the world record as the longest DJ ever played. Joe played for 5.5 days--the crazy fucker! The previous record was 5 days and 18mins. If you want to read more about the rules and regulations click HERE, but this time I interviewed THE MOST ELECTRIFYING MAN IS DANCE MUSIC TODAY... so read on to hear from Smokin' Joe Mekhael himself.


1. Smokin' Joe Mekhael, the world record holder for the longest DJ set ever played! how does in make you feel when you hear or read this about yourself?

It feels great to be the champ! Man, after such an intense five and a half days, knowing that I did it and that I'm THE MARATHON DJ CHAMPION OF THE WORLD is the best feeling that I've ever had! I'm walking on sunshine, brother!

2. Tell us what kind of preparation went into this project, it must have been mentally and physically draining... how did you convince yourself that you could do it?

I did a lot of running and boxing training, I ate healthy food and avoided excessive drinking and the other temptations of the DJ lifestyle. I stayed up for three days mixing tunes in my studio and I meditated on how I was going to achieve my goal. You see man, I understand the greatest secret in the universe! I understand that what you think and what you repeat to yourself in your mind will manifest in the real world! I told myself that I would achieve my goal, I prepared, the stars aligned and I did it!

THE CHAMP IS HERE!

3. You must have had a HUGE music selection, how much time did you spend gathering tunes? and how did you hand in your track selection into the officials?

I prepared around 2500 tracks and I played most of them. It took quite a while to sort the tunes by genre, but it was awesome because I found so many gems on old hard drives and now I can play them all the time! The track list is submitted to Guinness with the rest of the eveidence.

4. I noticed you used CD's, wouldn't it have been easier to use Serato or another DJ software?

I've never used any DJ software and I probably never will. Taking nothing away from DJs who use a laptop, but personally, I feel that it takes away from your stage presence if you have a computer up there. There are many DJs who use laptops who put on awesome shows but it isn't something that I would do. Also, the Guinness rules stated that I couldn't use DJ software.

5. When was it when you were the most exhausted?

I started hallucinating at 50 hours and it got really intense through to 55 hours. The lights were going crazy, people's faces were warping, it was nuts. That's when I knew that I had gone on for a very long time and that it was time to use my first accumulated rest break.

6. Was there ever a point where you almost gave up?

Never! When I was hallucinating, my depth perception was terrible and I remember missing the CDJ entirely when I tried to hit the cue button a few times, but I never would have given up, so I'm glad that my body agreed with me kept functioning. Nothing was going to stop me from achieving my goal!

7. What was it in the first place that inspired you to do it?

My goal was to send a message of peace, love and freedom to humanity! I wanted to prove to everybody that anything is possible! I wanted to show people that you can change your life for the better and achieve things that people see as impossible if you work hard and believe in yourself!

8. If you could see any artist/band/dj live,  dead or alive, who would it be?

I would love to go back in time and go to Woodstock!

9. Describe in one word what it felt like the break the record...

ELECTRIFYING!

10. And finally, whats next for Smokin' Joe Mekhael?

I'm so busy with gigs all over the country, it's awesome! 25 gigs in January and counting!

My next goal is to be voted as Australia's number 1 DJ in the 2012 INTHEMIX awards! On top of that, I want to continue to send a message of peace, love and freedom to the whole world!

#IMTHECHAMPIONOFTHEWORLD!
#MAKEYOURDREAMSREALITY!
#WOOOOOOO!


And here's a video of him breaking the record!

No comments:

Powered by Textbook Widget